To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

During power outages or other emergencies, please be considerate and frugal with water usage until repairs can be made and service restored. Thank you.

I have a water emergency! What should I do?

If the emergency is inside your house, try to locate a valve to shut off the water.  If you cannot locate a valve, you can shut off the water at the meter.  If you notice a leak outside your house that cannot be shut off, or if a water line is damaged, contact our office at 620-438-2501.  If it is after hours, contact Randy at 620-229-3895 or Vicky at 620-218-8776.  If you spot a leak along one of our lines in the District, contact the office with the information and you may be eligible for a leak reporting reward.

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect.  If you have an outside faucet, it may have a leak.  Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

I am selling or transferring my property. Do I need to sell or transfer my water membership?

Yes.  All of our water membership records must match the Deed on file at the office of the Cowley County Register of Deeds.  If you should sell, inherit, transfer, or place into trust property with a RWD5 water service unit, then when the new deed on the land is filed, you must also transfer the ownership of the Benefit Unit with our office.  No transfer will be approved by our Board of Directors until all outstanding charges are paid in full.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.  The appearance will improve with time, and it is still safe to use.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.  All of our water is purchased from the City of Winfield.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Our chlorine levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

It is possible your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it in our office after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.  Remember to mail your payment in time for it to travel through the postal system and be delivered to our office by the 15th of the month.